Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Straight Shooter: A Movie Review


Tim McCoy was a popular b western cowboy actor and over the years I've enjoyed a number of his films. Sam Newfield was an incredibly prolific director of low budget movies and I've really liked a bunch of his pictures over the years too, particularly a lot of his westerns. So, looking for something to watch today, I noticed this film that I'd never seen before, and gave it try. I figured that since I like the star and I enjoy the director's work too, this should be worth watching. I'm not going to pretend that I particularly had high hopes going into this flick, but I never could have guessed exactly how disappointing this b western would turn out to be.

Just like Whistling Bullets, this 1939 production is another one of those contemporary setting westerns, but unlike that movie, Straight Shooter is not at all entertaining. Tim McCoy is out to locate stolen bonds (another thing this one has in common with Whistling Bullets), which have been hidden by a deceased bandit, and the bandit's old gang members are out to find the same bonds too.

Despite sounding like something that has the potential to be exciting and entertaining, Straight Shooter doesn't even begin to become interesting until about the last ten minutes of its running time. For a film that clocks in at less than an hour in length, this program has no excuse being a dragged out experience, but that is exactly what it is.

-W. Jay Pinto


No comments:

Post a Comment